repeated login prompts in outlook 2007 with exchange 2007, AutoDiscover (0x80040413 error), Offline Address Book

For those in a hurry, the quick solution is to install:

Update Rollup 9 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1

More details: we had an “out of the box” Small Business Server 2008 setup with Exchange 2007 setup with the Client Access Role enabled.  Clients were mixed Outlook 2003 and 2007.  Outlook 2003 clients would connect fine, but 2007 clients could not download the address book.  Furthermore, Outlook 2007 would throw up repeated login prompts and eventually the auto-discover tests would fail.

Our first test was to browse to the Offline Address Book URL through a browser, which revealed a 500 status error, and was a result of the permissions on that virtual directory’s web.config file were wrong and was preventing us from accessing it.  It was missing the Authenticated Users having access.  So we gave Authenticated Users read access to that file and the 500 errors went away.

However, once we did that, Outlook 2007 clients would repeatedly prompt for user name and password.  We also found that running the auto-discover tests would fail with errors that indicated a failure to authenticate.

The resolution?  So simple, but it tooks us 30+ hours of troubleshooting and a call to Microsoft support.  Hopefully, it won’t take you as long:

Update Rollup 9 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1

Once the above was installed, everything started working as expected.

Advertisements
Explore posts in the same categories: Servers

Tags: ,

You can comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.

7 Comments on “repeated login prompts in outlook 2007 with exchange 2007, AutoDiscover (0x80040413 error), Offline Address Book”

  1. Jeff Williams Says:

    Just wanted to say thanks for this. By your calculations, you saved me 20+ hours of more trouble shooting!


  2. Same thing, many thanks from Germany…:-)

  3. Ricardo Says:

    Super, hours of trouble shooting before I found this blog. Many thanks from Holland.

  4. Chris Says:

    Again many thanks from Germany – hours of trouble shooting before I found this blog.

  5. Theo Pluym Says:

    Thanks from Axel in the Netherlands ! You saved me… I was frustrated…(a lot) but then i found this BLOG. All problems solved !


  6. […] Autodiscover test was throwing a 0×80040413 erro error… After some digging I came across this post that pointed to Rollup 9 for Service Pack 1 for Exchange 2007. Since SP 2 is already out, I just […]

  7. Jon Levesque Says:

    Only took me six hours. Thanks for this fix!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: